Step 2. Trains (2)
|Unit:||Unit V. GEOGRAPHY AND TRAVELLING|
|Theme:||Step 2. Trains (2)|
|The aim:||Educational: to explain the new theme.
Developing: to develop the pupils speaking skills, writing and listening skills by working
with texts, analyzing and doing exercises,
Up-bringing: to bring them up to be friendly, hardworking, polite and patient
|Lesson objectives||All learners will be able to: Learn new words and say a word about the trains|
|Most learners will be able to: Learn new words and do various tasks.|
|Some learners will be able to: Learn new words and speak about trains. Analyze given feedback.|
|Inter subject||Kazakh, Russian, geography|
|Methods||Brainstorming, hot chair, chair of author, ask — answer questions, explanation method, vocabulary, discussion method, crossword|
|Previous learning||New words according to the dream vacations|
|Pastoral Care||Student centered teaching: respect, support and scaffolding;
To create a friendly atmosphere for collaborative work.
Promote a sense of self-esteem and self-respect and respect for others among all the learners.
|The procedure of the lesson:|
|Time||Stages of the lesson||Resources|
|To solidify new material||T: Good morning, dear children!
Sit down, please!
Who is on duty today?
What date is it today?
Who is absent today? T: Let’s check your homework. Open your copybooks and I will look. Who is not ready for today? Checking up the home task: “Dream vacation”
|Teacher: OK. Today we shall speak about travelling. You know that our life is impossible without travelling. Many people like to travel. They can travel by plane, by train, by ship, by car, on foot. Today we shall travel by train. Many people prefer travelling by train. They think it’s more comfortable and it’s also not very expensive.
Write down the date and the new theme.
We are going to sit to the train from Atyrau to Almaty.
I think it will be an interesting journey.
Do you know that travelling by train called –journey.
1st station is Aktobe and the 1st task is Speaking. Let’s begin our travelling and do exercise 1 on page 122 orallly.
Choose one kind of transport and complete the table. Which statements are true for the transport you have chosen?
Make up sentences using following adjectives. Which of these adjectives describe the public transport in your village?
3rd station is Zhynkent and the task is for Discussion.
I. Are these statements true or false in your experience?
1. Trains are more reliable than buses.
2. Train fares are more expensive than bus fares.
3. Train journeys are more interesting than air flights.
4. Railway stations are nicer places than airports.
5. You get to the place you are going faster by car than by train.
New words of the lesson
A textbook by
|The main part:
Conclusion.Today’s theme was the train. We were traveling, doing a lot of exercise. At the end of the lesson lets speak about Advantages and Disadvantages of travelling by train.
Ex 3. Write sentences. Which of these adjectives describe the public transport in your city, village?
Ex 4. Read the texts and say what makes these trains popular.
Text A. The Orient Express REMEMBER! Orient [ ‘ɔ:rient ] – шығыс
Text B. High – speed trains
True or False
Find words in the text for:
1. people who are occupied in politics politicians
2. a person who speaks for his country (ambassador / or consul) a diplomat
3. people who work in business businessmen
4. people who build builders
5. people who write for TV and newspapers journalists
6. king’s family royal families
4th station Zhambyl and the task is Reading. Look at the book and read the text.
1st task is read the text A The Orient Express and answer the questions according to the text
1. When G.Nagelmackers start his company?
2. Why did he want to make a new railway line?
3. When did the Orient Express make its last journey and why it had to stop?
2nd task is read the text B High –speed trains.
1. Some countries in Europe use high speed trains.
2. Transrapid is a type of train in England.
3. TGV travels at the speed of 250 miles an hout
Ex 5. Can you guess the meaning of these words? Why? What do they mean in your language? Let’s do the warm up exercise !!! Translate the words
1. Who were among the travellers of the train’s first journey ?
2. Why did the Orient Express have to stop?
3. Which three countries have high-speed trains?
4. What’s the top speed of modern trains?
Brilliant [briljәnt] — жалтыраған
Express [iks’pres] – экспресс(поезд)
Technology [tek’nolәdзi] — технология
Restaurant [restro:n] — ресторан
Journalist [dзә:nәlist] — журналист
Maximum [maksimәm] — максимум
Company [kampәni] — компания
Politician [poli’tiʃәn] — саясатшы
Diplomat [diplәmat] — дипломат
Ex 7. These are the answers. Make questions.
1. Among the travelers of the train’s first journey in 1883 there were members of European Royal Families.
2. Politicians, diplomats, businessmen and other rich and famous people enjoyed travelling on the Orient Express. The Orient Express made its last journey in 1977. It had to stop because travelling by air became cheaper.
3. Nowadays because of new technologies travelling by train became faster and more reliable. Several European countries are using high – speed trains. France, Germany and Britain.
4. In France the top speed of TGV is 200, APT is 160, Transrapid is 250.
Ex 9. Read these sentences carefully. Some are correct, but some need “the”.
Correct the sentences where necessary.
1. Wrong – The United States
|A textbook by
|End of the lesson:||H/w:Open your diaries and write. Ex 8-9 p 125||diaries|
|Reflection.||I hope the lesson was interesting and useful for you.
What have you learnt today?
What was the theme of our lesson?
What have you learnt today? Was it difficult for you? What was difficult?
|Evaluations||So. Guys. I’ll give your marks. I want to evaluate your activities.
P1: You are the best one who works hard today.
Your English is good & I put excellent.
P2: You want to work industrious, but have some mistakes today. I put mark good.P3:… P4:…
Stand up, please!Our lesson is over. All of you did a good job. Thank you and good bye!